Here at Culligan, we’re really into water. We take the subject very seriously. But we’re not beyond having a little fun with our dedication to life’s essential liquid. With that in mind, we present a variety of fun, odd, and amusing facts about water. Enjoy—with a cool 8-ounce glass of our favorite beverage.
- Water makes up approximately 70% of a human’s body weight – but DON’T stop drinking water to lose weight!
- Approximately 80% of your brain tissue is made of water (about the same percentage of water found in a living tree – maybe is this why people hit their heads and say “knock on wood”?).
- The average amount of water you need per day is about 3 liters (13 cups) for men and 2.2 liters (9 cups) for women.
- By the time you feel thirsty, your body has lost more than 1 percent of its total water – so let’s not feel thirst. Take a break right now and have a glass of water. We will wait on you to get back for Fact 5.
- Refreshed? Let’s continue. Drinking water can help you lose weight by increasing your metabolism, which helps burn calories faster.
Do you have issues with your water or concerns about potential contaminants? Diagnose your water problems and get recommended solutions with our Water Solutions Finder.*
- The average person could live without food for nearly a month, but we could only survive about one week without water—that’s how essential water is to human life. Some of us can’t go a day without coffee, but that’s a different story.
- Good hydration can prevent arthritis. With plenty of water in your body, there is less friction in your joints, thus less chance of developing arthritis.
- Drinking enough water everyday can help reduce heart disease and cancer. Water helps flush toxins out of your body, and the fewer toxins that come into contact with your colon, bladder, and other organs, the less chance that critical ailments can develop. Some mornings there is a greater need for toxin flushing than others.
- Smile. Good hydration can help reduce cavities and tooth decay. Water helps produce saliva, which keeps your mouth and teeth clean.
- There is the same amount of water on Earth as there was when the planet was formed. Believe it or not, the water you drink could share the same molecules that dinosaurs drank. Don’t think too much about this, though.