Do you ever just sit and really think about water? How much do you consume? How much does the world consume? Or how much is in our bodies? In light of National Drinking Water Week occurring last week, let’s talk water with these facts according to the Environmental Protection Agency
- We Have the Same Amount of Water on Earth Now as there was when Earth was Formed
So basically, the water from your faucet could contain molecules that dinosaurs drank!
- Only 3% of the Earth’s Water is Fresh Water
The remaining 97% is salt water. The water found at the Earth’s surface in lakes, rivers, streams, ponds, and swamps makes up only 0.3% of the world’s fresh water.
- Over 68% of Fresh Water on Earth is Trapped in Glaciers
That’s a large percentage of our fresh water, considering only 3% of Earth’s water is fresh
- Water Regulates the Earth’s Temperature
It also regulates the temperature of the human body, carries nutrients and oxygen to cells, cushions joints, protects organs and tissues, and removes wastes.
- The Human Brain is 75% Water
The same holds true for a living tree!
- A Person Can Only Live About a Week Without Water
They can live about a month without food.
- Water is Part of a Deeply Interconnected System
What we pour on the ground ends up in our water, and what we spew into the sky ends up in our water.
- The Average Total Home Water Use for Each Person in the U.S. is about 50 Gallons a Day
Just think of that gallon of milk in your refrigerator and times that by 50.
- The Average Cost for Water Supplied to a Home in the U.S. is about $2.00 for 1,000 Gallons
This is equal to about a penny for 5 gallons.
- More than 25% of Bottled Water Comes from a Municipal Water Supply
The same place that tap water comes from. Culligan’s bottled water is not just tap water; it’s filtered through a reverse osmosis system.
Are you surprised? Intrigued? Amazed? Whatever your reaction, it truly is interesting to see how important water really is to the world. So, the next time you pour yourself a glass of water, think about how you are supplying your brain with 75% of what it needs to function properly! Then, keep drinking.